Where EBSCO Federated search covers databases subscribed from a single vendor, SwoopSearch Federated search covers databases from many different vendors.
The limitations of Federated searching itemized in the "What is Federated Searching" window apply with special force to SwoopSearch Federated searching.
An All Text nested "OR" Federated search using SwoopSearch will retrieve a colossal number of instrument references.
But the variance in formats and features among the retrieved records can make finding actual instrument titles slow going. The sheer volume of records to sift through can be daunting. And the number of topically irrelevant records considerable.
Over and above these issues, SwoopSearch has unique idiosyncrasies that render advanced searching a challenge.
If, however, comprehensiveness of results is the goal, SwoopSearch enables a Federated search of most databases¹ subscribed by UT Tyler Library.
To perform a Federated search using SwoopSearch,
1) Click the Advanced Search link in the big orange rectangle.
2) Enter an All Text nested "OR" search (see...) in the search boxes
3) Locate and select the Scholarly (Peer Reviewed) Journals option under Limit your results (in Search Options)
4) Click the Search button to initiate your search
Search results will appear in order of relevance.
SwoopSearch will display source database information for some (but not all) records in the citation field of the record in question.
You can narrow your search to a single database or group of databases within your search results.
To do so,
1) Scroll down the Refine Results column (left hand column of Search Results page)
2) Locate and select the Source link
3) Select Show More to view the complete menu of Source databases
4) Select the source databases to which you wish to limit your search results
5) Click the Update button to limit search results to your selected databases.
Note: This feature is a temporary limiter and only applies to a search for which you already have search results. If you modify your search strategy (after using this limiter), SwoopSearch will revert to your default limiters and search across all of the databases covered by SwoopSearch.
¹ Noteable exceptions: neither Health and Psychosocial Instruments, Mental Measurements Yearbook with Tests in Print are covered by SwoopSearch.